Rutherford Auto Body was founded on May 6, 1947 by Montrose and Donald Rutherford, father and son. The business operated out of a former mechanical shop located at Gender Road and Winchester Pike. Grandsons, Tom and Terry were raised in the shop, pounding on fenders and learning the trade. Montrose passed away in 1959 and Donald continued the business. In 1962, following graduation from high school, Tom Rutherford joined his father and two employees in operating the business. In 1964 Terry Rutherford (son and brother) joined the business after high school graduation.
Tom and Terry purchased the business from their father in 1977 and expanded the existing location three times by the addition of a total of 3,700 sq. ft. In 1989 they established a second location located at 685 Hill Road North in Pickerington, Ohio. The brothers operated both shops, purchased adjacent property at the Canal Winchester location and opened “SudSlingers Car Wash and Detail,” a full service car wash and detail shop in 2002.
Terry passed away in 2003 in a boating accident in Canada doing what he loved. He was a humanitarian who gave much to his family, his business and his community. He was able to live every day to the fullest, a lesson we can all learn from him.
In addition to his work at Rutherford Auto Body and the founding of SudSlingers Car Wash and Detail, Terry is remembered for his community work as Canal Winchester City Councilman and President of the Canal Winchester Chamber of Commerce.
Today Rutherford Auto Body employs thirty-six people and is a market leader in central Ohio.